Monday, March 16, 2009

The boredom of bed rest....

So, not much new to report since my last post, but I thought that I would do a quick update. Things are going well, I think. I'm feeling good, most days with the exception of being totally bored out of my mind!!! It sounds nice at first..... laying in bed all day, watching tv, being brought your meals....until you can't do the littlest things without help from others. It becomes very boring and very aggravating extremely quick!!! Seriously, how many judge shows are needed on tv? And does every talk show do DNA testing everyday? BLAH!! Trust me it gets old very quickly!

I think the worst thing so far is trying to keep a positive attitude. Last weekend it was 75 degrees outside. Terry opened up the windows. I could hear the neighbors kids out playing, riding bikes, jumping rope and just the general squeals that kids make while playing. It's so hard knowing that I can't be outside. And to make matters worse....last weekend was supposed to be my first baby shower back home. So, on top of not being able to enjoy a nice day outside with the rest of the world, I was missing my first baby shower. Not being able to celebrate our little Angel Babies with our family and friends pushed me over the top. I think Saturday was when I really broke down and had my own little pity party.

Everyone I talk to asks me how I'm doing. My typical response is, "I'm doing good, just really bored". Several people have responded with saying, I would love to be able to spend two weeks doing nothing. Ok, so let me put this into perspective for you..... For two weeks, you must lie flat on your back. The only time you are allowed to get up is to use the bathroom and to take a shower. Your shower time is limited to 30 minutes. This includes every minute from the time you get out of bed until the time you lay back down. So, showering, blow drying your hair, everything must be completed within 30 minutes. You are only allowed to be standing or upright for 30 minutes once a day. You can't get up to get a glass of water because you aren't allowed to walk down the stairs. If you want something you have to scream at the top of your lungs to get someones attention and then you have to wait until they bring it to you. Being the totally independent person that I am, this totally sucks!!! There really is no other way to describe it!!! While I have to give Terry major kudos for taking care of everything, it is awful not being able to do anything on my own. I guess bed rest at home is much better than bed rest in the hospital!!!

While I totally love my husband, it would be nice to interact with other people besides him. I know he is getting just as bored with me as I am of him. I can tell that I'm starting to get on his nerves, but I'm trying to be the best patient as possible, but when I'm not allowed to do anything on my own, it makes it very hard!! I've had a few visitors here and there which is always a welcome surprise for both of us. Terry and I both really enjoy this. It gives him a chance to duck out for an hour or so without having to stress about whether or not I'm going to be ok, plus it gives me an opportunity to talk to someone different for a change. We have some great friends who have brought over meals, sent flowers, cards etc. For them we are extremely grateful. I'm not sure what we would do without our family and friends.

Ok, I'm done gripping for now. At this point we just pray that everything is still going well when we go to the doctor on Wednesday, the 18th. (which is also our 3rd wedding anniversary, what I wouldn't give to be back on that beach right now!!!) We try to be optimistic that he will lift some of the restrictions and that both our Angel girls are still growing strong!!

On a separate note, I have to give my family back home major props, for having my baby shower without me. (pictures to come later) While this was super sad for me, my 'lil sis Sandy did a great job of putting together a video of the shower. I was able to see our family and friends in attendance and all the adorable gifts that we received. My mom mailed me all the cards and the dvd of the shower. Her sending that was one of the few things that has been able to pull me out of my funk lately. So, I've been working on my thank you notes for while, it's a slow process since I can't lay on my left side for very long due to some issues with my ribs but it definitely gives me something to do.

I'm sure I will have my next post on Wednesday after our doctors appointment. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED THAT EVERYTHING GOES WELL!!!

No comments: