Friday, March 6, 2009

Cont. From yesterday...

Sorry about that, yesterday was a rough day for me. All the drugs had finally worn off and I felt like I had been run over by a bus.

Ok, so where did I leave off? After Dr. Summner came in he told me that my cervix was barely measuring at a 1. For multiples they want it to measure at 2.5 or higher. He called my regular OB immediately to find out what they wanted to do about it. Again, with more waiting!! By this time it's close to 4:30 and I'm getting really irritated because no one is fully explaining to me what is going on. Plus, anyone who knows me, knows that I hate waiting. So, Dr. Summner comes back in the room and says that Dr. Cleary (my regular OB) wants to see me IMMEDIATELY! Luckily, their offices are pretty much next door to each other. We walk next door and again.....You guessed it.... WE WAIT!! By this time I'm pretty much freaked out and really ticked off that no one will tell me what the &%#@! is going on.

At about 4:45 I get called back to a room. And more waiting!!! Finally around 5:20 Dr. Cleary shows up. He explains to me what is going on and basically told me that they need to sew up my cervix to hold the babies in. He explained to us that if they don't do this, I will no doubt deliver the babies way too early. He said that based on the ultrasounds done today, that both girls look great and he wants to keep them that way. He explains the urgency and says that his first choice would be to go home and spend time with his own family, but he feels strongly that this needs to be done asap.

So, around 5:30 Terry and I find ourselves walking next door to the hospital and filling out registration forms. By 6:15 I'm being wheeled into a delivery room, given a spinal tap (totally not enjoyable by the way) and having surgery.

Let me just tell you, a spinal tap is the strangest feeling in the world! The anesthesiologist said it would feel like a bee sting in my back. Well, I don't know what kind of bees he has ever been bitten by, but it felt like a hell of a lot more than a bee sting. It took about 60 seconds and boom... I had no feeling from the waste down. When they put the needle in my back for the spinal tap I was sitting on the table with my feet hanging over the side. After I went numb, they asked me to help them lay me down flat on my back. REALLY? They wanted me to help assist them with putting my legs flat on the table. I'm thinking seriously people?? Looking back now, I'm pretty sure that they were just checking to make sure I was totally numb.

So, I'm wide awake with my legs straight up in the air, having a conversation with an anesthesiologist who smells like Old Spice cologne. Other than smelling like an old man he was pretty cool. We were talking about St. Louis, the Cardinals and the Arch, he also used to live in the St. Louis area. And before I knew it, I was in recovery. I remember looking at the clock and at 6:50 Dr. Cleary told me he was going to go talk to Terry and bring him back.

Meanwhile, a cardiologist shows up around 7:00 to perform an EKG on me. I'm trying to figure out why this is happening and this guy (who is wearing scrubs that are about 3 sizes too big)explains to me that the anestesiologist saw something abnormal during the surgery and that they want to check out. Again with more freaking out! And I'm still trying to figure out where Terry is.

So, I'm hooked up to an EKG and a nurse comes in with an ultrasound machine to check out the babies and make sure that they are doing ok. I'm still trying to figure out where Terry is because I wanted him to have the same re-assurance that I'm getting that the babies are still doing great! NO TERRY???

The EKG guy and the ultrasound lady both leave. The EKG guy said everything was fine but they would continue to monitor me. Looking back now, I'm fairly sure that my abnormal heart rhythms were due to the fact that I was already shaken up from the stress of the day and the fact that it was 30 degrees below zero in the operating room. I couldn't stop shaking because I was so cold. The ultrasound lady said the girls did great. One of the babies was just hanging out with her hand on her head and the other looked like she was training for a boxing match.

By this time it's about 7:30, I'm still trying to figure out where Terry is. Finally, I grab a nurse and ask her where my husband is. The nurse thought the doctor was going to bring him back and the doctor thought the nurse was going to come get him after my EKG. Well, neither one ever did and Terry was sitting in the waiting room just as freaked out as I was.

So, Long story I know. We get to my room for the evening around 8:15. We started to watch American Idol and I pretty much passed out. Thank goodness for tivo. I was released the next morning around 11:00ish only to be put on strict bed rest. This makes me very sad since I won't be able to travel home to Missouri this weekend for my first baby shower. But I know that it is in the best interest of my girls. I'm also struggling to figure out how we are going to afford this, but I have to continue to remind myself that God will provide.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That sounds so scary! I'm so glad that everything looks good now and I really hope nothing else crops up during the next 18ish weeks.

Brenda said...

Glad to hear the girls are doing good!! The cercalage is a great thing and will help you out enormously!! Guess you will be reading a lot and watchin a lot of tv!!!