Friday, September 18, 2009


Yesterday morning I took Addison for yet another brain scan.  Typically our appointments go like this:  10:00a.m. check-in time at the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital. 

Check-in takes like 5 minutes but they still require you to be there 30 minutes early.  Actually scan appointment is at 10:30.  Again the scan takes like 5 minutes.  Load back up in the car and drive to the neurologist's office for the results.  Appointment with Dr. Young (the neurologist) is at 11:15.  Get results and drive home.  Usually the whole process from the time we leave our house at 9:15ish takes about 3 1/2 hours. 

Yesterday didn't start well, so I was convinced that we were going to get bad news from the beginning.  Addison wouldn't take her bottle before we left home.  Maybe she was as nervous about the appointment as I was....who knows?  When we get to the hospital the main lot is full, so we have to go into the over flow garage.  When we get to the very top of the garage I unload Addison into the stroller, grab the diaper bag and we are on our way.  At least I thought?  We are on the top floor of a parking garage with NO elevator!  GRRRR!!  This is a Children's hospital!  Seriously, no elevator?  How am I going to get this stroller down 3 flights of stairs?  So basically we just walked down the parking garage being careful not to be hit by the cars entering the garage.  During our check-in I made sure to voice my unhappiness about this and the receptionist told me that I'm not the first to complain about it.  She gave me a comment card to fill out.  Apparently, since this is a very new hospital, they are still working on this issue. 

Anyway, we check-in the lady tells us where to go and we head to the radiology department of the hospital.  We take a seat in the waiting area with about 15 other people.  It's about 10:10ish at this time.  I decided to try and give Addison her bottle again since she didn't eat well before leaving home.  The minute I stuck the bottle in her mouth they called us back.  I could hear all the other people rumbling because we had just walked in and were already being called back.  Keep in mind her actually appointment isn't until 10:30.  Addison had her scan done and was baby talking to the technician who was doing it the whole time.  She just layed there and let him do his job.  Then all of the sudden she blurted out a big "HI" to the tech.  It was really cute!  He looked at me and said "Did she just tell me Hi?"  So then the tech walks us back out front and tells us to head over to Dr. Young's office for the results.  It's about 10:20.  We get back to the car about 10:30 and drive across the street to see the doctor.  We get in there about 10:40 and the receptionist proceeds to ask me if I know our appointment wasn't until 11:15.  I said yes and asked if there was any way that we could be seen earlier.  If we were going to have to wait until 11:15, Addison and I were going to take a walk outside.  The receptionist runs into the back and then says to us to come on back.  We were done with the doctor and back loaded up in the car before 11:00a.m.  When we arrived back home about 11:25, Terry was shocked that we were home so quickly.  So was I!!!

Ok, so yes, I realize this is a long story to get to my point.  My point is that everything yesterday, with the exception of the parking garage situation, went SO WELL!!  Dr. Young came in and said that her scan looked PERFECT!  He said that he didn't see any scaring or residual fluid in her brain.  He felt & measured her head and played with her for a minute.  She told him HI too!!  She's a very friendly gal!!  He told us that normally he would recommend a follow up in one year but he said that everything looks so good that if he made us come back in a year he would just be wasting our money. 

GOD IS GREAT!!  That's the only explanation for her miraculous turn around!!  She has come so far from the days where we weren't sure she would even come home with us.  Keep on asking and it will be given to you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who keeps on asking receives; and he who keeps on seeking finds; and to him who keeps on knocking, the door will be opened.  Matthew 7:7-8
Since I had already taken the entire day off work yesterday, I was bound and determined to try and get some things around the house done as well as get a hair cut.  I am now sporting a new do that is 4 1/2 inches shorter.  It is so much easier to take care of and only took 5 minutes to fix this morning.  It's still taking a little bit of getting used to, but I love it so far.  Pics to come soon!
We also decide to attempt another dinner out last night.  Terry's parents had come over yesterday to watch Alexis while I was at the doc with Addison.  Terry has been pretty exhausted so having them come over for even a few hours is a huge help.  The four of us took the girls to El Rodeo....Terry's favorite mexican restaurant.  Once again, our girls were angels.  The both slept in their car seats the entire time.  Well, Addison woke up just as we were getting ready to pay the bill.  I think she was a little frightened because she didn't know where she was.  But all in all....another successful dinner out.  Stay tuned for details of what we attempt this weekend......and more pictures to come as well!!  (That is if time allows!!)


Robin said...

Wooo Hoooo!! Congratulations on the good news! What a weight off your shoulders.. !

Unknown said...

Awesome news! Anna Marie