Friday, July 23, 2010


I knew that it was only a matter of time before the girls contracted some form of illness.  With the exception of spending three months in the NICU the girls have been fairly healthy.  We've been fortunate that they have gone a little over 15 months without getting sick.  This week has been a whole different ball game!

It all started Tuesday during the day.  Addison was feeling warm and was just a CRAB-O-LA!  She has this high pitched whine that sometimes I'm convinced could shatter glass windows.  When I got home from work her temperature was close to 102 degrees.  I called the pediatrician and she said that if she doesn't have any other symptoms to just treat her with Tylenol and Motrin.  She said that if any other symptoms develop to call her back. 

Wednesday when I got home from work Terry looked like he had been run over by a truck.  I walked in the house and immediately heard the whining.  Addison looked flushed, had glossy eyes and just wasn't her perky self.  Terry said she had been mega fussy all day and she had been running a fever off and on throughout the day.  After cuddling with Addison and trying to make her feel better, I noticed that she had these red spots all over her body.  My first instinct is crap, she's got the chicken pox.  Not being sure exactly what chicken pox looks like, I text'd my neighbor and she came right over to inspect her bumps.  Dr. Trina to the rescue!  She wasn't sure, but thought that it could just be a heat rash from Addison's fever breaking.  I called the pediatrician again and she said that if it is indeed the chicken pox that they do NOT want her in the office because it is so highly contagious.  She said to just treat her with Motrin and extra hugs and kisses. 

Thursday morning I get the girls up and notice that Addison's rash/bumps have spread to most of her body.  She looked better and was acting better, just with the exception of having some spots.  Terry's Mom was over to watch the girls while Terry went to the doctor.  She mentioned roseola.  As soon as I got to work, I immediately googled roseola.  I now have pretty much self-diagnosed Addison with roseola.  Roseola is a version of the measles virus and is common in children between 6 months & 3 years of age.  Yep, you guessed it....I called the pediatrician again.  I asked her what she thought about our diagnosis.  She said that she concurs that the symptoms I've described are conducive to roseola.  I really wanted to take her in just to be checked out, but the doctor said that if her fever has broken, and if she is starting to act better, that she wouldn't do anything other than  look at her.  She said that because it is a viral infection, it just has to "run it's course".  Thursday evening with Addison was much better.  She did still seem a little "less perky" than normal but was much improved over the past few days.

Last night and all throughout the early morning today, Alexis was waking up.  First at 11:45, 1:15, 3:30, then again at 5:30.  We knew it was inevitable, but we were hoping that Alexis wouldn't catch it.  Bummer!  Alexis woke up this morning with a fever as well.  So we started her on the same course of treatment....alternating Tylenol and Motrin and giving her a few extra cuddles and kisses. 

We are hoping that this bug will be out of our house soon!! While I'm glad that it's nothing major, it is still hard to watch your children struggle and not be able to tell you exactly what is wrong. 

1 comment:

Robin said...

Ugh. Sick babies are so pitiful. And it is just totally exhausting for the mommy and daddys as well.

I am glad that Addison seems to be improving and hopefully Alexis won't be far behind!

Thanks for being so supportive on my blog, too :)